Tape measure has various uses. One of them is in framing. In this page, we are going to discuss the measurement issues in framing, what features that are important, and the tape measures that are the best for framing. We’ll help you find your best tape measure for framing here.
Framing is a process in which different materials are put together in a specific sequence to provide support to any structure until it reaches the required shape. There are many materials that are used such as wood and metal or steel. In framing, it’s very crucial to have an accurate framing structure. Therefore, it relies on the best measuring devices that are used.
The tape measure is one of the most common tools used in framing. It is very helpful to solve issues in framing. Especially the stud center feature on the blade, the users will have the structure easily measured with to have equal distances to each other. Moreover, other functions of the tape measure are useful as well in framing.
Top 3 Best Tape Measures for Framing
We have picked out top 3 tape measures for framing purposes.
1. KUTIR 56-7525 Tape Measure
This product has all the major features that you are looking for in a tape measure for framing. It is strong, efficient and accurate. It may be dropped, it may be rubbed against rugged surfaces but it will sustain its shape and working. Moreover, it comes with a range of features that will ensure a great working experience. It is a great tool for framing, architects, and woodworkers and it will end up becoming a part of their tool kit.
- Dimensions: 3.1 x 1.8 x 3.1 inches
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Blade length: 25 feet
- 7-foot tape standout: This tape measure allows 7 feet to stand out which makes the measurement easy.
- Shock absorbent case: In case you accidentally drop it while working, it will sustain its shape and working because it has a rubberized material covering its outer.
- Magnetic Hook: The magnetic hook keeps the tape measure in place while you can work without fuss or hassle.
- Easy to read calibration: The numbers that are written on the tape are easily visible, they will not make you squint and you will be able to take correct measurements.
- Marking: metric and imperial scale.
- Easily visible calibration.
- Allows accurate measurement.
- Easy to lock.
- Ergonomic Design.
- Shock absorbent case.
- The magnetic hook might be weak.
2. Stanley Tools 33-725 FatMax Tape Measure
This tape measure is renowned for its accurate measurement hence it will provide you with a solid structure. It is made with high-quality materials and aims at providing accurate results to the users. It is easy to read and also, it is very comfortable to work with. You will not have trouble holding it in your hands. This product is greatly recommended because of its high performance.
- Dimensions: 2.3 x 5 x 8 inches
- Weight: 1.25 pounds
- Blade length: 25 feet
- 11-foot tape standout: It allows you to take the measurements easily.
- High-impact ABS case: Its case has rubber-holds that make it durable.
- Mylar Polyester Film: The film acts as a guard and makes the blade last for a long period of time.
- Multi-catch hook: The hook grabs on top or bottom of the object easily.
- Center markings: It has 16” and 19.2” center marking to simplify framing jobs.
- Protective case.
- Center markings that simplify framing jobs.
- Durable blade.
- Non-slip grip.
- Larger standout.
- It is slightly heavy as compared to other tape measures.
3. Komelon SL2825 Tape Measure
This bright-looking tape measure is easy to find in a toolbox. If you are in search of a sturdy tape measure that makes framing jobs easy for you then you should definitely get this product in your toolbox.
- Dimensions: 2.4 x 4.8 x 6.8 inches
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Blade length: 25 feet
- Nylon coated blade: The durability of the blade is increased due to the nylon coating.
- Ergonomic design: It fits in the hands easily and will allow you to work comfortably.
- Self-locking mechanism: It allows the blade to extend smoothly.
- Push button: The blade can be retracted easily with the push button.
- Rubberized case: The rubberized case is impact resistant which prevents the tape measure from getting nicks and cuts.
- Bright color that makes it easier to find.
- Self-locking mechanism.
- Gives the user complete control of the measurement.
- Extends and retracts smoothly.
- It doesn’t have center markings.
Measurement Issues in Framing
- Non-uniform sizes of the material: It is very important to have a uniform size of the material whether it is wood or steel. In framing, the size must be correct, if the size is not correct then the structure will not gain the required shape.
- Inaccurate thickness: The thickness of the material has an impact on the structure. The different pieces of material should have the required thickness so that the structure can reach its final shape.
- Inaccurate length: The length of the materials should also be accurate because if it varies then the structure will not be put together properly.
- Space between nails: The space between the nails can vary if it is not measured properly. It is necessary to measure the spaces so that the structure can be put together properly.
- The inexperience of the worker: If the worker is inexperienced, then the measurements taken will not be accurate. Inaccurate measurements will damage the whole structure because the pieces of the material put together will not be of the right size. The inexperienced worker will also be unaware of the principles of framing.
- Bad eyesight of the worker: If the worker has bad eyesight, then it is likely that he will take inaccurate measurements. This will also cause an improper framing of the structure.
Factors to Consider Buying The Best Tape Measure for Framing
- Price: The price of tape measures varies according to the manufacturer and the model. You need a product that is pocket-friendly and suits your budget.
- Visibility: The calibration on the tape measure should be easily visible. If it makes you squint then there is a chance that you will get incorrect measurements.
- Accuracy: The calibration of the tape measure should be correct. If the calibration is not correct then the tape measure is of no use.
- Toughness: While framing there is a chance that the tape measure will fall and it might get nicks and cuts. It should be tough and sturdy enough to survive all the drops.
- Ergonomics: The tape measure should easily fit your hand and it should be comfortable to work with. If you are not comfortable with how the tape measure fits in your hand then you will have trouble working with it.